DMC East Karachi Functions & Powers
- Prepare spatial plans for the DMC East in collaboration with Union Committees, including plans for land use, zoning and functions for which the DMC East is responsible.
- Seek approval of the DMC East Council to the spatial plans prepared by it after due process of dissemination and public enquiry incorporating modifications on the basis of such inquiry.
- Execute and manage development plan.
- Exercise control over land-use, land-subdivision, land development and zoning by public and private sectors for any purpose, including for agriculture, industry, commerce, markets, shopping and other employment centers, residential, recreation, parks, entertainment; passenger and freight transport and transit stations.
- Enforce all municipal laws, rules and bye-laws governing its functioning.
- Prevent encroachments.
- Regulate affixing of sign-boards and advertisements.
- Provide, manage, operate, maintain & improve the municipal infrastructure and services including:
- Water supply and control and development of water sources, other than systems maintained by the Union and Village councils.
- Sewerage, sewage and sewage treatment and disposal.
- Storm water drainage.
- Sanitation and solid waste collection and sanitary disposal of solid, liquid, industrial and hospital wastes.
- Roads and streets, other than roads falling under the jurisdiction of, and maintained by, the District Government or Government and streets maintained by the Union Administration or Village council.
- Traffic planning, engineering and management including traffic signaling systems, signs on roads, street markings, parking places, transport stations, stops, stands and terminals.
- Street lighting.
- Fire fighting.
- Parks, playgrounds open spaces and arboriculture.
- Slaughter houses.
- Compile information provided by Union and Village Councils of prioritized projects in the DMC Easts.
- Prepare budget, long term and annual municipal development programmes in collaboration with the Union Committees, under the directions of DMC East Nazim.
- Maintain with the assistance of the District Government, Union and Village councils, a comprehensive data base and information system for DMC East and provide public access to it on nominal charges.
- Propose taxes, user fees, rates, rents, tolls, charges, levies, fines and penalties under part II of the second schedule for approval of the DMC East council; And notify the same after such approval.
- Collect approved taxes, user fees, rates, rents tolls, charges fines and penalties.
- Organize sports, cultural, recreational events, fairs and shows.
- Co-ordinate and support municipal functions amongst Unions and Villages.
- Regulate markets and services and issue licenses, permits, grant permissions and impose penalties for violation there of as and where applicable.
- Manage properties, assets and funds vested in the DMC East and DMC East Council.
- Develop and manage schemes, including site development in collaboration with District Government and Union Administration.
- Authorize an officer or officers to issue notice to a person committing any municipal offence and initiate legal proceedings for continuance of commission of such offence or for failure to comply with the directions contained in such notice.
- Prosecute, sue and follow up criminal civil and recovery proceedings against violators of municipal laws in the courts of competent jurisdiction.
- Maintain municipal records and archives.
- Prepare financial statements and present them for internal and external audit in the manner as may be prescribed.
Assign or contract out, on such terms and conditions as approved by the DMC East Councils and after inviting public object any of its functions to any public-private, public or private organization.
Provided that responsibility for discharge of such functions shall continue to vest with the DMC East.
On such terms and conditions as are mutually agreed, transfer its functions of responsibilities with regard to providing municipal services to the Union Administration or Village Council.
Provided that no function of responsibility shall be transferred without allocation of corresponding resources and funds.
Provided further that the responsibility to regulate and monitor such functions and services shall remain with the DMC East.
By an agreement and on such terms and conditions as may be mutually agreed, perform any function of the District Government .
With funds raised through voluntary contributions or external grant, but without recourse to additional enhanced taxation, user charges or fees or recourse to any other sources of public funds and without incurring debt of any nature, undertake any development project.
With the approval of the Government and concerned regulatory authorities of the federal commercial activity on a self-financing basis with no liability to the public exchequer.
Set-up a corporate body to perform any of its function singly or jointly with other public or private bodies.